[ale] Kind words for Windows? - was The latest from Gigabyte

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Feb 8 19:44:34 EST 2011

Hi Randy,

See comments in line.

On 02/08/2011 10:31 AM, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
> Just some thoughts.
>

>> * Audible books - Linux cannot do it
>>
> I can listen to them. The only thing I can think of is that your books
> are encoded with proprietary code. Not a Linux problem.

I was referring to audible.com. Books are DRM protected. There's no
Linux client as far as I know. I haven't been able to get it to run
under Wine.
>> * Sansa Fuze+ MP3 Player - updater and media converter - Linux cannot do it
>>
> Huh? Of course Linux can. Mplayer and many other programs are avail enn
> in the GUI form. Not sure what an updater does.

I was talking about the program which updates the MP3 player's firmware.
It's a Windows program. I haven't tried Wine.
>> * TomTom GPS - updater - Linux cannot do it
>>
> Updater? Linux does .gpx. Not a linux problem. Call TomTom.

Same as for the MP3 player.
>> * Evernote - online notes system - Linux cannot do it - OLD one works in
>> Wine
>>
> Not a Linux problem. Call Evernote.
>

>> * MetaTrader 4 - currency trading software - Linux cannot do it - works
>> in Wine
>>

> Not a Linux problem. Call MetaTrader. Ask them why not Java?
>

>> You get the idea.
>>
> Sort of, but not really.
>

>> So, I hope this hasn't offended anyone. I also hope that Windows and Mac
>> will draw on the strengths that Linux has AND I hope that Linux will
>> draw on the strengths that Windows and Mac have, and that all the
>> systems will improve. Of course, I'd like to see more people using open
>> source software.
>>

> Not offended, but frustrated. Windows Markets and uses $$ and its
> monopoly to ensure the things you want to do are difficult in Linux. I
> take this difficulty and work around it. GUI's suck for tasks and
> overall system support. I am very thankful I do not have to maintain
> even a single Windows server here. If you really want to understand, do
> system admin for both and then come back to report which is easier.
> Simply having relevant logs is good enough for me to understand.

Considering the two sides of my dual boot systems, I maintain 5 Windows
systems and 3 Linux systems. I admit Linux is easier to maintain, but I
still prefer to use a GUI if I have a choice, most of the time. I did do
a sudo apt-get install qt-devel* . Wow, that was a powerful command. I'm
not sure what it did, but it sure did something! 8-)

I'm sure, for some deeper level maintenance and troubleshooting, I'll
have to jump to the command line.

Sincerely,

Ron