[ale] V6 question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 10:35:03 EST 2011

In short: this should be the last IP space upgrade we need until
humans are fully off the planet or until cockroaches take over. Sadly,
if the roaches take over they will have to immediately implement IPv10
so they each have a single IP address...

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 07:25 -0500, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
>> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> > NAT was designed fundamentally as a way to multiply one IP into multiple.
>> >
>> > That is not needed with IPv6 because you can have an IP for every hair
>> > on your head.
>
>> Don't know where I read it, but I read that ipv6 will provide enough ip
>> addresses such that you could have one ip for every square inch of the
>> earth.  So, I assume you mean each of us would have enough IPs for every
>> hair on each of our heads. According to google, the average person has
>> '100.000-150.000, some estimates going up to 200.000' hairs.  On the
>> other hand, there are 1.96 x 1017 square inches on the earth. ;)
>
>> So, anyone know how many ip addresses ipv6 will provide?
>
> End to end...
>
> 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456
>
> But that number is meaningless.  Let's get to some working numbers...
>
> Number of host addresses in a /64 subnet (local addresses on your wire -
> network with only a single subnet):
>
> 18,446,744,073,709,551,616
>
> Number of /64 subnets in a "small customer" /56 network:
>
> 256
>
> Number of /64 subnets in a "full customer" /48 network:
>
> 65,536
>
> Number of /64 subnetworks (single subnet networks) in the global unicast
> address space (2000::/3):
>
> 2,305,843,009,213,693,952
>
> Number of /56 small networks in the global unicast address space:
>
> 9,007,199,254,740,992
>
> Number of /48 full networks in the global unicast address space:
>
> 35,184,372,088,832
>
> Total number of 32 bit IPv4 address 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255
>
> 4,294,967,296
>
> Almost 10,000 times more full /48 networks (in the globally addressible
> part of the address space) in IPv6 than there are individual IPv4
> addresses from one end to the other (which are not all globally
> addressible).
>
> Mike
>
>> > So when you get a IPv6 connection, they just give you a few billion
>> > IPs to go with it.
>> >
>> > Not sure about DHCP.

> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 985-6132 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>   /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>   NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of all
>  PGP Key: 0x674627FF        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.