[ale] no putting swap on ssd

Mon Feb 7 19:01:42 EST 2011

Yeah, my initial thought was that I would not want windows abusing an SSD. I
go over my M-i-L's house and the sound of the 3 windows computers in that
house grinding constantly, regardless of whether or not anyone is using
them, drives me crazy.

I think the important thing to remember is to never put windows on hardware
you care about.

On Feb 7, 2011 5:24 PM, "JD" <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

On 02/07/2011 04:35 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> I was listening to a Security Now podcast by Steve Gibs...
I heard that episode too ... it could be my selective memory, but later
in the episode I recall Steve saying that modern SSDs, like used in an
iPod, have almost a 30 year expected life span if you write to every
part of the device daily.  His real concern was with the way that
MS-Windows seems to use swap for no reason when there is still lots of
real memory unused in a system. That wear on SSDs was his concern. Much
of the following discussion concerned encrypted SSD wear.  I left
thinking that I'd plan for a new SSD every 3 yrs if I put a Windows swap
file on it. I easily could have mis-heard something since I was
performing manual work at the same time.

I believe that a small number of the older SSD models with the wear
issues are still out there, so we definitely need to be cautious with
our selections.

OTOH, this could all be my selective memory. There is an episode
transcript for anyone that wants to know the exact context.

-jd