[ale] no putting swap on ssd

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Feb 7 17:24:03 EST 2011

On 02/07/2011 04:35 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> I was listening to a Security Now podcast by Steve Gibson recently.
>
> http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
> http://www.twit.tv/sn
>
> I'm not sure what episode it was.  Anyway, a listener had asked a
> question about SSD drives.  Steve recommended against putting a swap
> file, or presumably a partition, on an SSD due to concerns about
> excessive wear on the storage cells, which do have a finite lifetime.
> Now, at the moment, I don't own an SSD, but it's on my want list.  I
> guess I could always put the swap on a spinning HDD.  Has anyone else
> heard anything about this specific issue?
>
> Ron
I heard that episode too ... it could be my selective memory, but later
in the episode I recall Steve saying that modern SSDs, like used in an
iPod, have almost a 30 year expected life span if you write to every
part of the device daily.  His real concern was with the way that
MS-Windows seems to use swap for no reason when there is still lots of
real memory unused in a system. That wear on SSDs was his concern. Much
of the following discussion concerned encrypted SSD wear.  I left
thinking that I'd plan for a new SSD every 3 yrs if I put a Windows swap
file on it. I easily could have mis-heard something since I was
performing manual work at the same time.

I believe that a small number of the older SSD models with the wear
issues are still out there, so we definitely need to be cautious with
our selections.

OTOH, this could all be my selective memory. There is an episode
transcript for anyone that wants to know the exact context.

-jd