[ale] ubuntu 10.10 static ip and the woes

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 10:05:09 EST 2011

Friends:

I have a machine now with NOT-NETWORK access.  Here is the story.

I wanted to put static ip on my MythTV Server.  I followed directions on
this site

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/setup-permanent-static-ip-address-ubuntu-10-0410-10-maverick-meerkat

In that site, halfway down there is a step there that says

sudo apt-get purge network-manager network-manager-gnome

I followed that and then I rebooted.

The next thing I know, I am not able to connect to network or internet.  I
am ruing myself now.

Can anyone guide me back to where I can get a network without a full Ubuntu
install ?

In Windoze world, we can copy a zip or something and install it, how can we
do that in the Linux world ?

Thanks for your time
-Narahari