[ale] Fwd: Verizon To Throttle High-Bandwidth Users

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Feb 4 16:17:29 EST 2011

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/xtgnUAvl8nc/Verizon-To-Throttle-High-Bandwidth-Users
<http://rss.slashdot.org/%7Er/Slashdot/slashdot/%7E3/xtgnUAvl8nc/Verizon-To-Throttle-High-Bandwidth-Users>

tekgoblin writes "Verizon has enacted a new policy today that allows
them to throttle 'high' bandwidth users on their network. We're not sure
exactly what 'high' means but it is probably over 2GB of data per month.
This comes as the iPhone launches on Verizon's network. The policy is
said to only affect the top 5% of data users on the network. When these
5% of users hit the soft limit they will be throttled during peak times
of the day. From the note sent to customers: 'Verizon Wireless strives
to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a
shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve
this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top
5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput
speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and
immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network
performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our
proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to
ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively
affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.'

( if you already heard this, don't mind me, I'm just catching up..)

--
Paul Cartwright