[ale] [OT] parental control - was Mozy is changing the pricing model.

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Feb 4 15:47:41 EST 2011

This is really getting a bit off topic, but what the heck.  I've
certainly taught my teen the right places and wrong places to go on the
net.  But I cannot watch him all the time.  And he knows the ground
rules which govern the use of his PC.  However, all teens occasionally
get a stubborn streak in their head and want to bend the rules, or they
just get careless.  My son is certainly intellectually smart enough to
"hack" the computer.  However, he has no inclination to learn the least
bit about its technicalities.  He doesn't want to know or care how the
system works.  He only wants it to work, so he can look up information
on hunting or fishing or write papers, etc.  The router is programmed to
only use opendns, as is the wifi port on his machine.  So, while he
could go look up the IP for raunchy sites, and he could type it in
directly, I have no reason to believe he even knows that's possible.
The computer is restricted in such a way that he cannot change the DNS
settings, as is the router.  It would also be difficult for him to
access common proxy sites.  So, while this is far from bullet proof, for
my purposes, I find it useful.  He would have to be very determined, and
have significant intent, to bypass these measures.  Also, while his
friends could tell him the latest things going on at playboy.com, and he
may try to go there, he will not get any quick satisfaction.  That in
itself, will probably persuade him to do something else.  Yes, yes, I
know he could probably look at it on his friend's computer.  But, you
can only do what you can do.  At some point, he has to be responsible to
society and ultimately to God for his actions.

For my purposes preventing computers on my network from accessing:

95% of the porn
95% of the phishing sites
95% of the hate speech

is all worthy of the effort.  Should I have the motive, I can check the
logs to see what's been visited.

I cannot even bypass my security screens in a couple of minutes unless I
go turn off opendns.

Sincerely,

Ron