[ale] HELP, need to setup wireless access point!

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at activedg.com
Fri Feb 4 12:12:53 EST 2011

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ouch, well atnex switched me over this morning to my new business class.
> WELL, the new modem is a 4-port adsl setup with NO WIRELESS.. ( He said
> he will ship me a new model that will replace this & have wireless, but
> I need this to work NOW..
> what I have:
> 4-port modem connected to atnex.
> what I need is one of my 2 routers to connect to the modem to give me
> wireless access for my laptops.
>
> routers:
> wrt54GL with DD-wrt on it
> wrt160N with basic cisco firmware ( don't think this one can be changed
> to dd-wrt)
>
> I can work with EITHER, I just need instructions on how to change it to
> an access point & work.
>
> right now my setup is modem has a local address of 192.168.10.1
> whatismyip.com says I am 65.166.136.233 ( if that matters), and Milt
> said I have NO access to the modem, as far as admin...
>
> thanks!

If the modem does dhcp for the ports. Connect the wireless router there
and then you computers to the wireless router.

Modem gateway is what atnex set up.
Wireless router gateway and ip is what the modem assigns.
computer gateway and ip are what the router assigned if you did not want
that to be static.