[ale] 26G to backup

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Dec 30 16:19:01 EST 2011

I have 26G of data I want to archive and backup up.  I would want to do
this on DVDs.

I can spend a hour or so creating a perl script that will create ISOs at
4.4GB each, but I'm thinking this problem has been solved with a better
script (mine not written) or some OSS software project.  I like ISO9660
with Rockridge and Joilet, but I also like to burn some DVDs as ext2 to
preserve all attributes (permissions, owership, etc).

I'm looking for some pointers on the best way to accomplish this.  Of
course I could tar it all up and use split. That would require me to
re-assemble the data when I need to chase down one file.

I also want to archive 100G.

I plan on purchasing a 1T USB drive to be total storage of this data,
but I do not trust that as a primary store.

One prime problem is my ~/mail imap directory.  I've copied it off and
am now using empty imap boxes.  That directory is 6G in size and will
not fit on a signal DVD.  I've thought about using mksquashfs and then
burning the squash as the DVD (would not mount in Winders).  My concern
here is that future squashfs versions would render my data unreadable.

All this data will be archived on 2 sets of DVDs.  One set will be in my
office and the second set in an offsite location inside of a safe.

Chris