[ale] Creating a website (semi-rant)

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Dec 13 10:02:00 EST 2011

On 12/13/2011 09:57 AM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> PS>  I'm not a big fan of CSS so I use that very sparingly...

I would recommend that you seriously get to be a fan of CSS.  It makes
the HTML and JavaScript both much simpler to maintain, plus it gives you
the ability to make sweeping changes in presentation on a single site
with the same HTML.

For a (contrived, extreme) example of why this is a good thing, check
out this site:

   http://www.csszengarden.com/

Now, I'm not saying that you need to be that extreme in your own use of
CSS, but it lends itself well to making drastic changes for not only
different main site themes, but for presentation on mobile devices,
tablets, and the printed page itself.  The judicious use of CSS can make
the difference between printing 100+ pages from the content displayed on
the page in the browser and only the two or three pages that you really
wanted to print in the first place, or the difference between being able
to use a site on a mobile phone and not.

	--- Mike