[ale] hosed gpg key

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:20:10 EST 2011

This morning I went to sign all the keys from last Thursday's party.

Unfortunately I'm having pass phrase issues, with the new "stronger"
key that I generated for the event.

I'm on Mac PPC using the latest (and last) MacGPG2 package
available for my system. When needing a pass phrase entry from
the [bash] shell it uses pinetry to open a graphic entry window.

My pass phrase is fairly long and has spaces and punctuation.
I've banged at making it work for a few hours now trying variations
on potential fat finger errors and such but curiously haven't hit the
magic combination.  I'm pretty sure that this pass phrase had to
have worked with my setup at some point when I was generating
and exporting the key for signing, but the magic has apparently
leaked out of this key.  The same software setup is working fine
with my older key from 2009, though that pass phrase is a little
shorter and doesn't have any spaces.

Since I've pretty well hit all the likely alternate forms of the pass
phrase at this point, I'm thinking there must be something else
going on here. Is there a limit to pass phrase length or something?
Is there an undeclared timeout on multiple attempts?

If I'm unable to re-discover the pass phrase, how do I just go
about trashing this key and removing it from the keyring and such?
Would anyone in the key ring be willing to sign a new alternative
if I were to generate it and post it to BigLumber?

Any suggestions and assistance appreciated!

peace
aaron