[ale] Windows Tax refund?

Robert rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Thu Dec 8 12:47:40 EST 2011

So, my new laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) just arrived. Naturally I'm going to run
Linux on it, and I wondered what the latest status of the Windows Tax refund
is. Google led me to sites that mention a change in the Windows license that
says manufacturers can require you return the whole computer instead of just
refunding the price of Windows. Other sites say that Windows is still 'tied'
to the OS, and that is illegal under antitrust laws.  Most of the pages I
found were quite old, and many were by people in foreign countries.

Anyone in the group tried to get a refund in the last few years?