[ale] Migration How To

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Mon Dec 5 13:16:25 EST 2011

OK, I realize that I'm behind on my personal systems.  That being said, I
want to migrate from Fedora 13 to Fedora 16 and at the end of it all, drop
VMware Server 2.0.2 in favor of the latest KVM and move from Oracle 11gR2
database to PostgreSQL database.. To complicate things more, I'm running
Raid-1 on 2 - Hitachi Deskstar 1.5 TB drives with multiple partitions
(including /boot).

I've read that you can only migrate a single version when using Anaconda
(i.e. Fedora 13 --> Fedora 14 --> Fedora 15 --> Fedora 16), so I can see
the a full migration may take about a week.  At each stop, what should I
verify to determine if the upgrade went OK? Should I stop my Oracle, JBoss
and other applications prior to the upgrade?

Is there some pieces of wisdom any of you can give me on this task?

Thanks,
Gene Poole