[ale] cloning drive using gparted

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 09:11:05 EST 2011

Friends:

I created a VMPlayer VM containing Lubuntu 11.10.  It is working perfect.

When I created the VM though, I made it dynamically expanding upto 12GB
instead of "allocate all space now".  Let us call this DISK1

I am trying to convert from dyanmically expanding to "allocate all space
now" but I could not do it directly withing VMPlayer.

I then created another disk of size of 12GB the vmdk file with "allocat all
space now" option.  Let us call this DISK2.

I mounted both drives and then logged in with GParted and used that to copy
the DISK1 Partition to DISK2 Partition.

However when I make DISK2 the only drive and then start the VM it just
hangs.

I am not sure what else I am supposed to do like copying MBR or anything
else.

Please shed some light.

-Narahari