[ale] budget dual-head advice?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Aug 31 11:09:30 EDT 2011

My experience is with cheap nvidia cards.  Basically, if they have 2
outputs then you don't need to worry.  All of them will have 256MB of
RAM which is more than enough. $40 will get you a card with 1GB easy.

Setting up dual monitors on nvidia is pretty easy. The first google
search result (Ubuntu Dual Monitor with nVidia Driver) for this issue is
my blog.  Unfortunately, I'm working a software issue today, so the page
is down, but here's the google cached version:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4qVCw0DH9eAJ:blog.jdpfu.com/2010/05/12/ubuntu-10-04-dual-monitor-with-nvidia-driver+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=ubuntu&source=encrypted.google.com

There aren't any Ubuntu-specific commands used except for the package
manager command to load the proprietary nvidia drivers. I can't imagine
why the other steps wouldn't work for other distros.

Are you sure that you need/want an AGP card and not PCI-x?