[ale] Fstab fails

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 29 17:57:52 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:20 -0400, Wolf Halton wrote:
> Thanks, Mike,

> I have got to find a better example of how it works.  I have been all
> over the internet, but with no great success.
> This is usually the sort of thing I write how-tos about when I find a
> way to solve them.

MOST of the time, I get away with this for NFS (lines, not the whole
file):

/etc/auto.master:

/net    -hosts

Should be in the default.  Then there's a scripted, /etc/auto.net, for
managing some stuff that's also in the default.

Then you just create symlinks to ...

/mnt/wittsend/export -> /net/wittsend.com/export

And that mounts wittsend.com:/export automagically.

Don't create symlinks into vital areas (like / or /usr) where things
like ls will cause headaches trying to dereference unavailable resources
and symlinks.

You can get a LOT fancier and a LOT more complicated with SMB and other
mounts but start off simple and KISS.

> -Wolf

Regards,
Mike