[ale] OpenVZ Adventures

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 07:30:14 EDT 2011

Jim Lynch showed me OpenVZ a couple of weeks ago, and I put it on my
CentOS test server.  For fun, I wrote a little script that would build
and start OVZ containers with Ubuntu 10.04.  I started the script on
friday night to build up to 4096 containers or use up the hard drive
space, whichever came first.  I had 2 150GB drives mirrored and CentOS
with a GUI, so there was about 140GB free when I left for the weekend.
When I got back Monday morning, there were 288 working containers,
using 65% of the ram and 15% of the swap space.  All 24 cores were
running at about 5% capacity.  This was a successful experiment, IMO.
Now I want to see if I can build a router in there in one container
and a /23 private network in there.

Wolf