[ale] erasing a hard drive

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Aug 26 19:43:51 EDT 2011

Only if that "mp3" is a FIFO that is being fed the same actual mp3 over and
over again...

That could be interesting, actually, using a FIFO to wipe a drive by placing
random ASCII books onto it, one could use project gutenberg as such a
source. Could be amusing to whoever attempts to read the drive...
On Aug 26, 2011 4:28 PM, "Jim Kinney" <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dd if=/randomladygaga.mp3 of=/dev/sda
> On Aug 26, 2011 3:15 PM, "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at water.com> wrote:
>> Yep - I started using /dev/urandom instead of /dev/zero when I read
> something that said if the overwrite data is predictable (e.g. all zeros)
it