[ale] vmware and memory allocation

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:43:39 EDT 2011

Friends:
Thank You all for your time.

====================================

Host Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.
Mem on host 12GB
Mem allocated to VMWare Workstation 8GB.
VMWare version 7.1
Also use VMPlayer at times.

============================

Java Env
Websphere 32 bit edition developer edition
MyEclipse Blue 9.0 Xms and XMx settings are 256m and 768m for the vm that
runs myeclipse.

When I look on the host machine I always see at the most 38Meg of RAM being
consumed by the VMWare Workstation.

Why doesnt VMWare workstation take the 8GB given to it ?

Can we set something in VMWare workstation to say take all the me at once so
you can distribute it to the processes running under you ?

What else can I do to make the VMWare use the memory more effectively ?

One last question, Will Virtual Box provide better experience and will it
run in 64 bit mode ?

-Narahari