[ale] VOIP recommendations?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Thu Aug 25 08:09:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 07:07:05AM -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 07:26 -0400, Byron Jeff wrote:
> > What has eluded me so far is a clear understanding of dialplans. I get
> > that FS facilitates complex dialplans. What I'm really looking for is
> > a DialPlan101 discussion.
>
> Ditch distributions with integrated Asterisk and pretty web pages.
>
> Get the Oreilly Asterisk book and start from the beginning.  Compile
> Asterisk and configure with the editor of your choice.  Like Vim or
> Emacs.

FreeSwitch, not Asterisk.

> I got frustrated trying to solve problems in Trixbox and not knowing
> what I was doing so I threw that mess away and have never looked back.
> I can write dial plans I can program AGI's now.  I have an
> understanding.  Something I did not have when the internals were hidden
> away for the sake of simplicity and ease of use.

I played with Trixbox. I didn't really have a problem with digging into the
source files to figure things out. I just haven't yet seen a clear nuts and
bolts document to map a dialplan into freeswitch.

BAJ

> Chris

Byron A. Jeff
Department Chair: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff