[ale] VOIP recommendations?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Aug 23 16:15:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 16:09 -0400, Brian W. Neu wrote:
> I'm looking to recommend to several of my clients that they ditch the
> stone ages and leap into the world of today with some VOIP services.
> They are going to want desktop phones though -- possibly travel-friendly
> phones.
>
> Can I get recommendations from my open source amigos for hardware and
> service providers?  I'm not a stickler for some kind of Linux solution,
> just a solid one.

Please don't try to run 8 calls over residential class DSL to save a
dime.

If you eliminate POTs you're going to have to beef up your data circuit.
It also needs to be reliable.

Look into running Asterisk and possible soft phones on their desktop.
If they travel you can put soft phones on Android and iOS.

Chris