[ale] 3D CAD in Linux?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Aug 23 12:06:37 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 06:49 -0400, Richard Faulkner wrote:
> The only thing I've used *personally* like this is Blender3D but that is
> for 3D rendering and animation (a bit different than what you want to
> do).  Here are some suggestions though:
>
> - QCad (2D CAD System)

QCad absolutely ROCKS for 2D and it's brutally simple to learn.  I
picked it up and in one weekend designed our new 1000 ft^2 deck which we
now enjoy and whipped out my tape measure and started running around the
house taking measurements and now have the entire floor plan of the
entire house from basement to attic in there in layers and reconciled to
within 1".  Total time from when I first cracked a look at QCad to the
completion of the X-Ray vertical through the house (each floor has its
own set of layers) was less than 5 days and I wasn't even working at it
continuously.  Still have to add wiring, plumbing, network, and my fiber
optic audio bus into it but, still...

Any package whose authors have the sense of humor to have their "units
of scale" go from angstroms to parsecs gets a big thumbs up from
me.  :-)

Too bad it's only 2D.

> - FreeCAD (Feature based parametric modeler)
> - PyCAD (PythonCAD - doesn't support dwg/dxf formats)
> - SagCAD (2D CAD modelling)

> Happy Hunting you CAD!

Regards,
Mike