[ale] almost OT: Hardware for virtualization

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Sun Aug 21 14:04:18 EDT 2011

> On 08/17/2011 01:25 PM, JD wrote:
> I never done any installation of virtual servers and I
> want to start experimenting with the technology.
> Whats is the minimum CPU+MB that I can buy in
> Microcenter ( I work nearby ) for my needs. Bear
> in mind is going to be only for tests learning purpose
> not for production :)

I asked an almost identical question on this list about 2 months ago.  I
wanted to build a system to learn about virtualization. I am still trying to
assemble my new machine. But I settled on the following:

1. A quad-core AMD Phenom CPU
2. 8 Gb RAM
3. Asus mobo
4. 1 Tb Western digital disk.

In fact, I chose the parts as the result of seeing them in an on-line
article on building a gamer PC. I just left out the fancy video card.  I dug
around looking for a copy of an old email I might have sent listing the
components but I can't find one. If I find an exact list, I'll post it here.

Anyway, all together, I've spendt about $450 and that includes DVD burner
and case. So maybe you could sayve $50 - $100 by buying a dual-core CPU,
less RAM, and a smaller disk. But it probably wouldn't be worth it.