[ale] almost OT: Hardware for virtualization

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Aug 17 12:57:27 EDT 2011

On 08/17/2011 12:09 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> I never done any installation of virtual servers and I want to start experimenting with the technology. Whats is the minimum CPU+MB that I can buy in Microcenter ( I work nearby ) for my needs. Bear in mind is going to be only for tests learning purpose not for production :)
>
> Thank you for all suggestions !

If you don't want to run MS products and only Linux try OpenVZ.  It's
the easiest to get running and has scads of various OS templates and
does not require any special hardware.  In my experience VirtualBox from
Sun and now Oracle is the easiest to get running if you need Winders and
have the x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT or
AMD-V). KVM is the native Linux solution but is much less mature and may
be a bit more challenging to get running.  I suspect all the MBs
available today support CPUs with the virtualization extensions but you
need to match the board with the right CPU.  There are way too many
chips out there to possibly list them here but select one you like and
check the specs for the VT or AMD-V specification.  Most of the middle
of the road to higher end CPUs with multiple cores have the
virtualization extensions.  For instance the intel Atom and Celeron
products probably won't have extensions.

And LXC is another light weight solution that doesn't require any
special hardware, like OpenVZ but I was unable to get it working right
myself.  It's also under active development meaning it's less mature.

Jim,