[ale] vmware workstation, vmplayer 64bit os and memory allocation

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 14:18:27 EDT 2011

I created a VM Ubuntu 64 bit.  I allocated 8GB of RAM from the host(it has
12GB) to the VM.

I find that the VMWare Workstation is a 32 bit app (it is installed in the
c:\Program Files(X86)\VMWare folder.

So does it mean it is a 32 bit app ?

If it is a 32 bit app then the max memory that is allocated to a 32 bit
process is 2GB.(its my understanding).

Hence even if I have allocated 8GB it is not useful since the
vmware-worksation or vmplayer app are both 32 bit.

Any idea how to make the full 8Gb available to the VM app or is VirtualBox
true 64 bit  app a better option ?

-Narahari