[ale] August meeting presentation

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:29:20 EDT 2011

Architecting the World Wide Web using Linux might be a good topic.  It might
have to be broken into several meetings, since that's huge.  Everything from
web front-ends to back-end databases should be fair game.  Nginx, Lighttpd
and document-oriented databases, like MongoDB, seem to be big right now.  I
am also interested in the middle layers, like Ruby on Rails and PHP.  Ruby
is great because it crosses over to the Mac very easily due to the emphasis
on MVC pattern.  We don't have to delve into everything in detail, just how
to put these things together so it's flexible and can grow--from a system
administrator point of view.  I inherited a terrible architecture that
doesn't scale for our website and it is a pain to undo most of it.

We are testing Drupal with PHP-FPM and Nginx as part of our content
strategy.  The trouble is we have to do a lot of manual labor to chop,
convert and move data from where it is to where it needs to be.  There is
also the security part to worry about.  Security and porting things from one
platform (web or otherwise) to the next is a big headache for a lot of
people right now.  I know I need to brush up on scripting tools to make the
process easier.  We are currently building little tools to help along the
way.  What other little tools do you all use to help with those problems?