[ale] CentOS 5.6 64Bit Install

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Sun Aug 7 21:35:08 EDT 2011

On Aug 5, 2011, at 7:53 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:

> Yes, I have a DVD drive, but what I don't have is the "know-what"  and a little of the "know-how" to put on the DVD(s). Here is the link on GT mirror site for CentOS 5.6 http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/centos/5.6/os/x86_64/images/, what do I need to pull down from among those files to make a successful install? In what order?

Wrong directory tree, you want this:

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/centos/5.6/isos/x86_64/

Although they don't appear to have the DVD image there. There is a torrent image there:

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/centos/5.6/isos/x86_64/CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD.torrent

I'm pretty sure I downloaded the DVD directly from GA Tech a while back.  Not sure why they don't have a DVD to download.

> Thanks,
> GC
>

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM, handran <handran at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On 8/5/2011 6:17 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
>> Charles,
>>
>> This is a bare metal install on a new system with 2 mirrored boot drives and 2 mirrored 1TB storage drives off a 3Ware controller. Plenty of room, but no previous OS installed, I also have a DVD drive in the system, I just don't know what other files.
>>
>> I can see why lots of folks like Ubuntu, at least last time I installed Ubuntu server 8.4(?) it booted off the DVD and installed w/o any problems. Sure seems easier to a noob like me!
>>
>> Greg
>
> Looks like you need 8 CD iso's  or  2 DVD iso's.
>
> Available here:
> http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/centos/5/isos/x86_64/
> http://mirrors.rit.edu/centos/5.6/isos/x86_64/
> http://linux.mirrors.es.net/centos/5.6/isos/x86_64/
> ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.6/isos/x86_64/

Until later, Geof