[ale] Dual Boot Windows 7 & Fedora 15

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Aug 2 00:48:15 EDT 2011

Brandon,

I know this message is a bit old, but, did you solve your problem?  What
is the make and model of your laptop?  I am dual booting Windows and
Ubuntu with the following partition structure.  I'm using the MBR style
of boot sector.  I have 4 primary partitions.  Partition 1 is a hidden
recovery partition which came with the system.  Partition 2 was the
original C drive.  I defragged that then shrunk it with the Windows disk
management tool and created a partition 3 and partition 4.  I formatted
partitions 3 and 4 originally with NTFS just to make sure they were
initialized and to force the drive to check for bad sectors.  I also
left 2 GB unallocated at the end of the drive.  This allows me to clone
the drive to another 500 GB drive for backup without encountering sizing
problems if the destination drive has slightly different size.  If you
don't have or need a hidden partition, you could use one as a Linux swap
partition, but I use a swap file instead.  I assigned a volume label
similar to Windows Asus01 to partition 2 and Data Asus01 to partition
4.  The data partition is still NTFS, but is shared by Windows and
Linux.  Either one can write to it.  I like to dismount the NTFS
partition in Linux after writing to it.  Then, I installed Ubuntu on
partition 3.  During installation, I chose manual partitioning options
and formatted partition 3 as EXT4 and told Ubuntu to install itself
there.  I also went into an advanced option in the setup screens and
told it to put Grub on partition 3 as well.  I prefer to use the Windows
boot loader as my primary.  So, the problem is to get the Windows boot
loader to chain over to grub.  You can use a Windows program called Easy
BCD.  This lets you customize the Windows boot menu and add Ubuntu to
it.  So, when I boot, the Windows boot loader gives me a menu which has
options for Windows and Ubuntu.  When I select Ubuntu, then grub
appears.  From grub, I can boot Ubuntu as normal.  If you want grub as
your primary boot loader, you can install Linux after Windows and put
grub on the windows partition, as I understand it.  I haven't tried that
though.  You should then be able to start Windows from grub.  If you
have any questions about my setup, I'd be glad to elaborate.

Sincerely,

Ron