[ale] Need AWK Guru input

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Aug 1 14:46:30 EDT 2011

The man page on RHEL says lsb_release parses the /etc/<distrib>-release file which is why I made my comments as that would be /etc/redhat-release on RHEL.

With /etc/redhat-release in place:
lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer
Release:        5.5
Codename:       Tikanga

Without /etc/redhat-release in place:
# mv /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release.20110801
# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: n/a
Release:        n/a
Codename:       n/a

The info in /etc/lsb_release.d on RHEL doesn't contain the distro version but rather the LSB version and my read of the man page says that is the way it should be (except man page talks about a single /etc/lsb_release file - RedHat likes to expand such things into .d directories so you can have multiple things configured via separate files rather than all in one big file).