[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Fri Apr 29 22:24:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 15:47 -0400, Greg Clifton wrote:
> So we've been with Verizon since the silicon cooled off and had a
> family plan for the past 10 yrs., but in the spirit of FOSS, I am
> thinking very seriously of kicking Verizon to the curb. I want an
> Android phone and LTE might also be nice, but not an absolute
> requirement esp. as I intend to pull nearly all my data from WiFi.
> Ergo, I REFUSE to pay the required $15 or $30 extortion fee for the
> required data plans at Verizon. Furthermore, I find their $350/line
> cancellation fee unconscionable, not that I have any intention of
> cancelling while under contract, but again it goes against the FOSS
> grain. When it comes to phone service, I am in agreement with Aaron
> regarding the corporapists!
>

> Now, with the preamble finished, I am leaning seriously towards going
> with Metro PCS, they have LTE (though LTE service ends ~ 5mi from my
> home) and CDMA Android phones for what seem reasonable prices. They
> also have $40, $50 and $60 all inclusive unltd plans. The one thing I
> am concerned about is [lack of] coverage, where Verizon has always
> been top notch--their coverage is great, but it ought to be, cause you
> sure pay for it!
>

> My question is does anybody on the list have any experience with
> Metro?

With out reading all the responses:  I have metroPCS and I can't be more
happy.  I don't notice dropped calls or garbled voices.  I live almost
in Acworth and work in Downtown ATL.  The phone just works.  FWIW it
also just works in OKC when I go there.

Review the phone before you buy one.  I think they only have one smart
phone, the rest are just sorta smart (if you need a smart phone).

I have had service now for 18 months.

HTH