[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Apr 29 17:10:41 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 16:55 -0400, Greg Clifton wrote:
> Paul,
>

> I realize that the cancellation fee is prorated, its just the
> principle of the thing. Pretty much everybody agrees that Verizon has
> the best coverage, so WHY do they need to stick you with the $350 fee
> in the first place. Now AT&T, I can understand, but is Verizon just
> copying them?

To pay for the phone.  up till yesterday Verizon had the Droid X for $19
with 2 year agreement.  You want to just take their phone and bolt?  You
can BUY any phone on the Verizon network and then pay as you go it you
wish.  With Metro you're going to pay $200 for that nice Android phone.
It ain't a Droid X but at least it "is" Android.

> My bill drops on the 4th so I'm going to chat with the Metro folks
> this weekend and maybe give Verizon one more chance to wave the
> required data plan before I bail.

Never will happen.  Never.  The problem was that before forcing people
schmucks would run up high data bills and complain to Verizon.  It was
easier to Verizon to simply force a data plan.  Now everyone does it.

If you don't mind crappy coverage in the remote burbs then Metro is your
best solution.