[ale] OT: gas going up this weekend

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 28 15:26:17 EDT 2011

I know it is cold comfort, but, to repeat, gas is cheaper now (in constant
dollars) than it was in April, 1974.

There are two major parts to the rise in gas prices:

* Long term: demand for crude oil (especially from China but also from
South America and Africa) is rising and isn't going to go down until the
world's major economies develop energy sources NOT dependent on fossil
fuels.  That isn't going to happen in the next 20 years, so plan now for
higher fuel prices in the coming decades.  Greater demand and flat supply
can only lead to higher prices.

* Short term:  The Atlanta metro area is required by the EPA to use
"designer" gasoline.  That is, we are forced to use a "winter" blend and a
"summer" blend.  That's nice; it helps reduce air pollution.  BUT,
gasoline retailers are prohibited by the EPA from mixing the two fuels in
their tanks.  I >THINK< the crossover occurs on June 1.  As the crossover
date approaches, retailers are forced to jack up prices to control demand
or they risk running completely out of gas.  And the refineries are now
beginning to produce the summer blends , thus guaranteeing a shortage of
the required "winter" fuel, which, of course, limits supply and forces
prices to rise. On a more positive note, "summer" gas, has more gasoline
in it so your fuel mileage is a bit higher, and it is a bit cheaper to
produce, so the cost goes down a few cents. Usually. :)

Given the above, it is a safe bet that gas prices in the Atlanta metro
area will continue to rise over the next 33 days and then drop noticeably
come June 1.

Sean