[ale] Gnome-panel failure (seeking critque on solution)

Dow Hurst dphurst at uncg.edu
Wed Apr 27 18:29:30 EDT 2011

After upgrading between versions, I have found creating a new user,
configuring that the way I like and then switching myself over to that
account solves a lot of niggly problems.  Working through all the crap that
happens buried down in Gnome or KDE when an old set of config files is being
read by the a new version of KDE or Gnome is just not worth it to me.  I've
also found that when using a NFS file server to serve up home directories to
many people and also mixing in different distros from different client
machines makes for a real headache with home directory config files.  A nice
solution is to have different home directories for each user/distro
combination and a symbolic link to a separate directory where their working
files are stored permanently.

So if I run Ubuntu 8.04, 10.04 and Centos 5 I would have for my user:

/home/dphurst  (where my main work files exist)
/home/ubuntu/10.04/dphurst
/home/ubuntu/8.04/dphurst
/home/centos/5/dphurst

each home directory works great with the distro it is designed for.  A
~/data symbolic link points to /home/dphurst from each of the separate home
directories so I have the same relative path into my work files for ease
with scp or rsync.

Best wishes,
Dow
Dow Hurst, Research Scientist
340 Sullivan Science Bldg., Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC 27402-6170