[ale] Suggestions on Linux / OSS support providers?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Apr 26 09:24:36 EDT 2011

RHEL and SUSE are both "commercial" distros built around being supported
by their respective makes.   Many companies that want "support" use them
for that reason.   Here we use RHEL but haven't really had any major
support needs.   The main benefit to using these distros is many of the
commercial applications one might get on Linux are supported mainly on
RHEL and to a lesser extent on SUSE.   (This doesn't mean they won't run
on other distros - just that you might have issues calling the software
maker for issues if they find out you're not running on a "supported"
platform.)

Canonical offers support for Ubuntu as I understand it but I don't know
that there is a lot of support for it by other application vendors.