[ale] OT - Best Auto GPS

Steve Brown scbrown3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:16:34 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Robert <rs at ale.spam.futz.org> wrote:

> >Get a droid phone, car power adapter and windshield-mount holder. The maps
> >are updated and the nav can show 3d or map view plus voice instructions.
> It
> >also accepts voice input.
>
> I don't recommend this. Google maps doesn't download the maps for your
> planned
> route, so if you hit an area where there is no data connection, you're out
> of
> luck. Very frustrating.

This was true up until mid December of last year when Google released
version 5.0 of Google Maps (specifically though I think we're talking about
Google Navigation). The caveat is that you must have a data connection when
you first start, so it doesn't help if you're in the middle of nowhere and
want to plan a route. Rerouting still apparently works though. I haven't
tried it, but it seems you could get away with no data plan and just start
your route when you have wifi.

-Steve Brown