[ale] Snapgear SG560 Linux Revival

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 00:04:59 EDT 2011

I have the above misbehaving firewall box from work that is made by Secure
Computing.  The box is about 4 years old and appears to have a scrambled
brain.  We replaced it with a Netgear, but I wanted to revive this thing to
use at home (or to play around with).  It is running some sort of embedded
Linux and has an Intel IXP425 ARM system on chip.  The web interface no
longer comes up and the network ports all blink endlessly no matter what.
Something is still working, because I get a redboot prompt and request for
zImage when I hook up a serial cable and reset the device using a pen.  I
was thinking about putting something like DD-WRT or another small Linux
firewall distro on there.  Here's an interesting thread about that:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68772&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.

The trouble is I can't get the source to compile properly using the
instructions from Snapgear
http://www.snapgear.org/documentation2.html.  Apparently, our particular
unit has a cryptographic chip that requires special Intel cryptographic
files which is part of their IXP400 Access Library.  Compiling just for the
IXP425 SOC from the config files doesn't get me anywhere, still getting
errors about missing files.  I registered on Intel's website to get access
to the library but it's been quite a while now.  Does anybody happen to know
about this library and where to get it besides Intel?  The info file from
the source mentioned using a BSD-type library, but I get an error about
missing crypto acc something.  Something tells me Intel can't be the only
ones with the actual library.

It's too bad Snapgear went through a long line of companies before being
bought over by McAfee.  Getting help from those guys for a box that is out
of warranty is next to impossible.