[ale] GFS for winders?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:34:37 EDT 2011

I've experimented (with excellent success) using GFS to make a majority of a
drive partition part of a office LAN shared filesystem. Great for
distributed backups! All clients share out a chunk of their hard drive
(50%+) and GFS (or gluster, or moosefs, or...) handles the file bits. Now
backups can happen automagically to the big share, _or_ it can be the ~ dir
for everyone (assuming no giant files of high throughput stuff like video
editing, etc).

Is there such a thing as this for the poor folks in stuck in winders land?

other than a cobbled pile of cifs shares, with a cluster FS on top all
shared back out with samba.

Personally I like having all the winders systems be actually Linux systems
with a vm running winders. Makes rebuilds a breeze and then the GFS stuff is
happenin'.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.