[ale] OT - Best Auto GPS

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Apr 19 13:38:47 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 13:28 -0400, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Get a droid phone, car power adapter and windshield-mount holder. The
> > maps are updated and the nav can show 3d or map view plus voice
> > instructions. It also accepts voice input.
> >
> > Plus its a phone the can use when they still get lost.
>
> With a screen 1/2 the size of larger GPSs.  One thing we were looking
> for for my MIL, was a BIG screen for her bad eyes.  Now if only the
> volume was louder for her bad ears... :(

Get a FM transmitter and use the stereo in the car.  Of course that will
mean she can't listen to music...

I never use the voice on my GPS.  I simply read the screen.  The TomTom
XL has a nice big screen.

Now.  Garmin makes some larger GPS units for truckers.  You can find
these at Pilot and Flying J.   I never thought about using one in a car
but during my last trip I did see a fellow with one in his Blazer.  I
should have asked him how well it did for car drivers.

Chris