[ale] OT - Best Auto GPS

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Tue Apr 19 13:15:42 EDT 2011

On 4/19/2011 12:46 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> From things I know and I've heard I'm thinking some of what would be
> necessary:
>
> 1)       Easy to use -- These people aren't technical.    It needs to
> be easy to input destinations and also easy to get updates loaded.
>
> 2)       Large display and/or audible turn information -- I don't
> really know how good their eyesight is but given that they're older
> I'm thinking this would be helpful.
>
> 3)       Reasonable price for updates.
>
> Of course any other factors one cares to mention would be welcome.

I have an older Garmin and love it. Someone gave me an older Tom TOm and
it's like VI & EMACS :)

the garmin has the nice HOME button to get you back, I like that. I have
never updated mine because the yearly updates are REALLY expensive ,
like $70-90. What you don't get without updates is newer roads &
waypoints. If you just want directions it isn't really that bad to have
older maps. It is a little bit of a pain to use the buttons to type in
an address, easy to punch the wrong letter, but there is a back/erase
button. Normally what I do is bring it in, turn it on in the house &
input the address where I am going. You can hit SAVE if you want to keep
it for later & name it, or just hit GO. Then I turn it off, put it in
the car & start the trip.
Just Make sure you check the models to see what features that one has,
like speaking street names... not all do.
on Amazon you can also check the reviews to see what others find out &
also see what people BOUGHT who looked at that model.

--
Paul Cartwright