[ale] Unix Automation?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Apr 19 10:42:31 EDT 2011

The first time I saw X was on a Sun loner box that came in with a
graphics card and monitor.   I think it was Solaris 2.   The aquarium
screen saver seemed amazing but sucked up all the CPU power.   Up until
then I'd only used CLI for AT&T & SCO UNIX and a hodgepodge of other
things.

I didn't start using X full time until around 1996 when I began working
on HP-UX.   Many of their tools had X modes as well as CLI.   Back then
the consoles weren't graphic though - most of the X I saw was using
Exceed on a Windows deskstop.

The first time I saw MS Windows it was something you launched from DOS.
I inherited a PC from a tech writer that had it.  I launched it and
after playing around a bit  decided I didn't need that "namby pamby GUI
stuff".   These days I have a better appreciation for GUIs but still
spend most of my time in CLI.