[ale] Unix Automation?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:25:13 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Geoffrey Myers <
lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> >> What he meant was that he was not really a UNIX geek and that Linux
> >> perplexed him :)
> >>
> >> Sorry,  I've never bit**ed about things being automatic.  If anything
> >> I've complained about things being too automatic making it harder for
> >> newbies to learn the internals so they can fix real problems.
> >>
> >> As I said before.  When I got into Linux vi was our config tool and we
> >> learned more about UNIX then than a noob will learn today in the same
> >> amount of time.  If you had to download a base X config and then
> >> configure it for your desktop using vi then raise your hand....
> >> Everyone else get off my lawn!
> >
> > My hand is raised.  30 days to get X running on my first Linux install.
>
> Yeah, I remember installing my first Slackware from floppies.  Two days
> later I was dancing a jig because I saw: login:
>
> A week later, I had X running.

Wow! My first X run took a month of evenings and weekends. Between bad
timing docs on my monitor and nearly toasting one in tests, X was really not
making the SWMBO happy.

> >> Chris
> >>

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.