[ale] Unix Automation?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Mon Apr 18 09:53:28 EDT 2011

On 4/18/11 8:23 AM, Damon Chesser wrote:

> All,
>
> I was talking to a Unix guy today at work and he said he is getting
> used to Linux, but one thing he noticed is "Linux is about as mature
> as Unix was 10 years ago".  He said that many of the things you have
> to do manually in Linux is done automatically for you in Unix.  It was
> a short conversation.
>
> I am curious, having never used Unix, anybody have a clue what  he
> might have meant?
>
>  Sincerely,
>
> Damon Chesser
>
> damon at damtek.com

That's a statement that's bizarre on more than one level.  For starters,
one would have to nail down what he means by "Unix" - Wikipedia says
"Today's Unix systems are split into various branches, developed over
time by AT&T as well as various commercial vendors and non-profit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-profit> organizations."  If he means
Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc. then he needs to so state.

Now, I'm not familiar with all (really, any) of the Unix-proper branches
so I can't speak to their development velocity or maturity , but the
Linux kernel by all accounts undergoes rather extensive development
continuously and at the module level, quite closely follows hardware as
it becomes available as long as the hardware specifications are
sufficiently open.