[ale] setting up email server

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Thu Apr 14 00:57:37 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Joshua <jrtroberts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have had to setup my laptop as a webserver in order to finish my class
> project.  There is a feature in our product we would like to activate,
> but it will require sending email.  I have looked and looked and I
> cannot find a free smtp relay service or a free dns service that will
> give me a MX record.  I only need it for a week and don't have the money
> to pay for anything even if I needed it for longer.  I can just cut this
> feature out of the mock product, but I would like to know if there are
> any other solutions.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought dyndns.org let you do that for free using
hostnameupick.somedyndns.domain.  You can then use a gmail account or
whatever to relay the mail through with SMTPAuth.  As David Lemcoe mentioned
you can use dns.he.net. They also offer IPv6 tunneling for free so you could
tunnel IPv6 to your laptop.

If you are doing this with your own domain, you could probably do it with
the Free version of Google Apps Partner Edition.

Chuck