[ale] [OT] Load Control Switch

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Apr 13 15:45:26 EDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> It would be nice if the idea behind this were to actually prevent
> non-working devices from using load but it isn't.   The idea is to allow
> the electric company to decide who gets what power when there is peak
> demand.
>
> Allowing the power company to decide I don't need so much air
> conditioning just after arriving home on an August workday doesn't sound
> like a good idea to me.

As long as you have sufficient conditioning going to keep the place
dehumidified, not a problem.

Well, yes it is load control. The alternative might be to either black out
a neighborhood or brownout the system, both of which will help raise the
rates by wear and tear on the system.

FWIW, I have had load control for 20 years with Duke Power. They activate
it periodically, and I don't notice it. The money isn't much, and my
home's insulation is plenty adequate. And they only utilize the capacity
two or three times a year, unless there is a real beast of a heat wave.

Obviously I can't speak for the quality of current installations, but I
haven't noticed install related problems either.