[ale] Fedora oddity

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:04:13 EDT 2011

You need to install preupgrade.noarch.rpm. Try the manual route : yum
install preupgrade

You are getting the notices on an F13 box since F15 is nearing beta.

Note: I did an upgrade run from F13 -> F14 on several machines with no
troubles at all. But I only upgraded AFTER the next version had been out for
a few weeks and rpmfusion had caught up with several of my requirements as
well (nvidia, wireless nic, audacity-freeworld, etc).

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

>   Derek,
>
> If I were using a CD install, I wouldn't be getting random notices through
> the system.
>
> According to top, the program that is running is "preupgrade-gtk.", which
> seems to not exist on this box!?
>
> According to ps what is running is
>
> /usr/libexec/packagekitd
>
> Sean

>  On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 01:53:48 pm Derek Carter wrote:
>
> > On 4/13/11 1:32 PM, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>
> > > This is a FC-13 box.
>

> > > Over the last two days I have been getting frequent notifications
>
> > > that a
>

> > > "Distribution upgrade" is available -- to FC 14.
>

> > > When I try to download the files I get the message that metadata is
>
> > > being downloaded and then the process starts "Getting installer
>
> > > images..."
>

> > > A few minutes later the whole thing stalls after downloading 10 - 20
>
> > > MB with the message that the downloader
>

> > > "failed to download installer data.
>

> > > This could be caused by a missing network connection or a bad mirror.
>

> > > Retry; Quit"
>

> > > There's nothing wrong with the network connection.
>

> > > I can not figure out to point the thing to a local mirror, such as
>
> > > the one at GA. Tech.
>

> > Which method are you using to do the upgrade?
>

> > If you're using a CD install you can pass the option "linux askmethod"
>
> > and it will allow you to choose your install tree.
>

> > If you're using yum or some program which does this live, you would
>
> > want to look into the files which exist in /etc/yum.repos.d
>

> > --
>
> > Derek
>
> > aka goozbach

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.