[ale] Best asterisk solution?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Apr 12 14:04:57 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 12:06 -0400, Aaron Blowers wrote:
> **Disclosure: First Post on ale.org. Feel free to bash or tease if I
> am not following posting protocol.**
> Greetings all,
> I am a support engineer working in the metro-atlanta area and our
> company is ready to make the move from antiquated digital phones to
> VOIP.
> Is there a phone veteran or linux guru out there that has experience
> with asterisk and its various flavors?
> I'm interested in self-hosted solutions that can support over 200 end
> users, a 24/7 costumer service operation and possibly
> "click-screen-to-answer" integration.
> I'm familiar with the big players like Digium, but I'm wondering if
> there is a better way to get our operation up and running without the
> huge sticker price.
> Any thoughts, guidance or info is greatly appreciated,
> -ab
>
> --

If you have no asterisk experience I think you're going to run into some
issues that will cost you more $$ than just buying a ready made
solution.  Just my opinion....

If you had a handful of users I would say go ahead and do it but I think
you're getting in over your head with 200 and a need to be operational
24x7.

If you insist on doing it in-house then I suggest you join Atlanta
Asterisk User Group and bring in a consultant to help you do it right
the first time.  Think about, you're going to purchase 200 phones!!  Any
mistake will be costly.

You can also look at this product:

http://www.allworx.com/phone_systems/48x.asp

A phone system the size you need does not need to cost 100k.  It can be
considerably less.

Chris