[ale] [OT] Need to lock down a Windows laptop

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Apr 12 11:01:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:14:08 -0400
Drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> What I have never understood is how drivers can be so insensitive to
> the feel of the car that they don't know when a tire gets low.  Even
> with power steering and sophisticated suspensions a car handles
> differently when one tire is as little as 10 psi low.  Over the next
> few years a greater percentage of cars will have tire pressure
> monitoring systems and the problem will be ignorant drivers who
> ignore the idiot light when it appears.

You should try driving a sports car with good, low profile high
performance tires.  Good speed rated tires have thick, very stiff
sidewalls.  You won't notice a tire that is low on air when you're just
cruising around.

Even with a flat tire you might actually be wondering if you really
have a flat tire, at least at city speeds.

I had a flat tire a few years ago in my Miata with a 205/45 tire on a
17 inch wheel.  Driving at 45mph, the only real indication that I had a
flat was the small change in road noise.  I took my hands off the
wheel, the car just continued driving straight as an arrow.

The extra noise wasn't even that loud, either.  Not much more than the
difference between rolling on different road surfaces.

I'm certainly not insensitive to the feel of the car, either :)

Pat