[ale] [OT] Need to lock down a Windows laptop

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Apr 12 07:42:29 EDT 2011

>> She needs to learn how to secure her PC, and sadly, she needs to get
>> hacked in order to learn it. I speak from experience having a teen girl
>> crying over her broken PC and forcing her to reload it herself.  These
>> days, knowing how to do that is like knowing how to change a flat tire,
>> IMHO.
> <<more snip>>
> You expect somebody to know how to change a tire???? You monster!!!! That
> is why God gave us phones and AAA memberships!
>
> Silly sarcasm aside, probably a good idea. Both to expect offspring to
> reload their systems, and to expect every driver to know how (by doing) to
> change a tire.

Before my father allowed me to get a drivers license, I had to show him
that I could change a tire.

Over Xmas, I had a flat on I-85 in NC.  That was the first flat tire
that I've had in 25+ yrs of driving.  After pulling safely off the road,
I pulled out my cell phone to call the $4/yr auto-insurance number to
have my tire fixed.  ZERO cell coverage.  I was in a bend in the road
and would have to walk about a mile in either direction to get out and
get coverage.  Instead, I pulled the packages, luggage and other
assorted things from the trunk, got the smaller emergency wheel out and
spent the next 30 minutes cursing the damn jack.  At least it was
comfortable temp, late afternoon sun with no rain.

BTW, the jack used in high school was very similar, yet much better than
the jack on my premium vehicle today.  It had a crank to cause the
scissor to expand, not just a bar that needed to be removed and replaced
every half turn. Piece of crap.  With only 6" of clearance, the
replacement jack options are pretty limited.  I looked after that trip
hoping to find just the crank. There are lots of options for $80+.

Anyone know where I could find a crank for a scissor-type jack?
Something like this, but it needs a different end to fit into the jack
http://www.folandsales.com/catalog.asp?prodid=494416&showprevnext=1