[ale] OT: Disposal of standard fluorescent lamps?

Jeff Gehlbach jeffg at opennms.org
Mon Apr 11 18:16:45 EDT 2011

On 04/11/2011 05:39 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> The colors from halogens are _much_ nicer but they are HOT! And many are
> sensitive to fingerprint oils.

Both points are very true of the small lamps with T-style bases and of
the dual-pole, rod-style lamps such as are found in some landscape
applications.

The fingerprint oils are a non-issue for the newer, traditional-looking
lamps that have a frosted or clear outer glass globe surrounding the
inner filament-bearing capsule.  Regarding heat, I haven't taken any
readings to back this up, but the dual-globe lamps feel cooler to the
touch than an equivalent tungsten-filament incandescent.  I still
wouldn't want to touch the outer globes themselves, but it's not
uncomfortable to lay a hand on the bell-style fixtures that house them
over the mirror in my bathroom.

I wonder if the perceived greater heat of the smaller lamps has
something to do with the ability to get one's nerve endings very close
to the filament.  Kind of like saying that the Sun is hotter on Mercury
than on Venus.

> And they output a fair amount of UV unless there is a glass
> shield between the bulb and the light use are. UV will decay many
> inks/printed materials (red colors especially).

Ooh, news to me and very good info.  Thanks.

-jeff