[ale] OT: Disposal of standard fluorescent lamps?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:39:21 EDT 2011

The colors from halogens are _much_ nicer but they are HOT! And many are
sensitive to fingerprint oils.

I have some in a kitchen light. Good work lights but I can feel the heat on
my head. And they output a fair amount of UV unless there is a glass shield
between the bulb and the light use are. UV will decay many inks/printed
materials (red colors especially).

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Jeff Gehlbach <jeffg at opennms.org> wrote:

> Sorry to zombify this OT thread, but someone might benefit and I didn't
> see it mentioned previously...
>
> On 03/28/2011 03:53 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
> > My mine desire is to be able to have incandescent lights in places I
> > use a dimmer.
>
> After having been nearly 100% CFL for several years, I recently had to
> eliminate CFLs from our house for medical reasons (60Hz flicker can
> trigger vertigo and migraines in a family member).  My inner tree-hugger
> was bummed about the situation but our compromise solution conveniently
> factored out the mercury, so he's off skipping through a field right now
> feeling the wind in his beard.
>
> Most halogen lamps (bulbs) are unaffected by the current and pending
> efficiency legislation in the U.S.  "Most" means those that are on
> average >= 28% more efficient compared to a tungsten-filament
> incandescent with the same lumen rating.  These lamps are becoming
> widely available in base and shape configurations that my grandparents
> would have recognized as only slightly odd.  They're instant-on, work
> just fine with dimmers, and don't suffer the color-temperature problems
> that tend to plague CFLs and LED lamps.  I'm finding that they're priced
> at or slightly below comparably luminous CFLs.  Lowe's has a decent
> selection, and I believe IKEA may too, though I haven't made a trip
> there since they declared end-of-life on their incandescent stuff.
>
> -jeff

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.